Getting rid of DRM on e-books and videos
Instructions on how to remove DRM from E-Books and videos.
How to Remove DRM from Ebooks (and Back Up Your Library Permanently)
The easiest way to strip DRM from Kindle books (and Barnes and Noble, Adobe Digital Content, etc) is with the free ebook software Calibre, DRM removal plugins, and a copy of the Kindle desktop software (PC/Mac). These directions are for Kindle, but will work with Barnes and Noble, Adobe Digital Editions, and older formats. Here's what you need to do:
- Download Calibre, the the plugins, and the Kindle Desktop software.
- Unzip the contents of the plugin directory.
- Open up Calibre and click on
- Navigate to
"Load Plugin from file,"and select
K3MobiDeDRM_v04.5_plugin.zipfrom the directory you just unzipped.
- Load up the Kindle app on your Mac or Windows computer and download all your books from Amazon.
- Navigate to either
C:Users[your username]DocumentsMy Kindle Contenton Windows or
[your username]My DocumentsMy Kindle Contenton Mac.
- Your books aren't named in any meaningful way, so just drag all the
*.azwfiles into Calibre.
- After a short wait (depending on the size of your library), Calibre will finish importing the books. Now you have a DRM-free backup of all your books on your computer.
It's a little convoluted, but once you get the hang of it, Calibre is a solid way to backup all your purchased ebooks.
How to Remove DRM from Movies and TV Shows
You can record directly from your computer using a screen recording tool (any of these five will do). You will, of course, have to wait for the entire movie since it operates essentially like dubbing, but if you already use screen recording tools it's a free option for backing up your movies.